Tuesday, July 10, 2012

I'm Back!

We had such a wonderful vacation. I had the treat of staying with a friend who is usually so busy (she runs her owns business which keeps her traveling almost weekly) that I never get to talk to her on the phone, forget spending time with her in person! She has a cottage in a wonderful community called Bayside in Northport, Maine. It is truly a magical place. It's very kid-centric, which made it even MORE fun for my gang. She had two boys, 12 and 14, that my 2 worship. They played together with the big kids - and then even the big kid's friends... everyone was so wonderful and welcoming. In our short stay we saw:
  • The Tall Ships in Boston before we left!
  • Went for a boat ride on the kids dingy (it could have been a yacht for the level of excitement my kids had for riding on it)
  • On the 4th of July, there was a bagpipe and drum crops playing in the village green
  • My kids got to have a big water gun fight with the big kids
  • Went to the Rockland Children's Museum on the one rainy morning we had
  • I got to jump off the dock (it's a high one!) several times (which helped my 'cool' factor with the big kids)
  • Went out for lobsters at the best lobster pound! A freak thunderstorm came passing through - it was crazy to be in the tin roofed structure watching (and listening) to it go by. It ended in a beautiful rainbow.
  • Kite flying
  • Cam spun around and around and around on a tire swing until he threw up (Mom of the year award for this one - Mama! I have pins and needles in my mouth! Sigh.)
  • Went to an alpaca farm and bought some gorgeous yarn.
  • Actually spent time knitting!
  • Attended Game Day
  • Game day included a 100 foot long slip and slide powered by dish washing soap and a pumper truck from the local fire department. By then, Cam was so comfortable with the Big Kids he went right into line with them, and went down by himself 4 times! I even went once (I went down a hell of a lot faster than those little kids and ending up eating grass at the bottom)
  • And finally, on the way home on Saturday, we saw, from a distance, the LLBean 100th anniversary fireworks.
We arrived home tired, a little sunburned, and happy to be back to 'normal'. But the week was wonderful, and I so glad we were able to go.

2 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

That sounds like the best vacation!

Carrie27 said...

So glad you all had a great vacation!